I wouldn't say that I'm materialistic. I mean, I probably am, but I wouldn't say that I am. I have an appreciation for interesting objects, which I prefer to think about as a part of a whole joie de vivre thing. Not buying it? Yeah, me neither.


I like these boots, for example. These are "Malory" boots by Anna Sui. They have Arthurian scenes on them. They're navy blue. That combination of characteristics makes them entirely unnecessary, which is part of what makes them so appealing to me. I'm quite confident that in these boots, I would be unstoppable. They were part of Anna Sui's collection that was available last year at about this time, so I'm guessing I couldn't find them now if I wanted to buy them, which is probably for the best because they were a bit spendy.
This chair is called the Sexy Relaxy chair. It's by Dutch designer Richard Hutten. Everyone should have at least one chair that's both sexy and relaxy, wouldn't you agree? To heck with the right to keep and bear arms, speedy trials, search warrants and the like--what about the right of the people to own whimsical furniture? Those founding fathers really had their priorities screwed up.
This is the "Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" t-shirt design from threadless.com. I'd like to buy this shirt and save it to wear when I, myself, am an old lady. Because enough with the red hats already--it would be really awesome to be an old lady who wears shirts like this. I am the old lady who swallowed a fly, bitches.
This is not a Flock of Seagulls album cover. It's Band-in-a-Box, a fabulous software program that allows you to type in chord progressions, choose a musical style, set a tempo, pick a key, and voila! You have a backing track. You can print out a lead sheet and guitar tabs. You can even program in handclaps. Handclaps! You can mess with second endings, codas, etc.. You can change the instrumentation from piano to ukelele, if that's your kind of thing. This software would be useful for me because right now, my primary strategy for working through tough sections of new music is to play the piece on my French horn, then transpose it for a C instrument (which I guess is what I would consider my voice to be). Wow. Upon typing that last sentence, I am suddenly overwhelmed by my dorkiness. Pity me. Anyway, with Band-in-a-Box, you can use the computer keyboard as a piano keyboard if you want to, but I've tried the demo version, and honestly, I think it would be difficult to rock out as much as the dude on the box cover is.
**Ooh, I just noticed that my demo version of Band-in-a-Box has expired, which means that I might be acquiring one of the aforementioned things I want in the near future. Unfortunately, not the boots.



1 comment:
Apparently, those boots were made for blogging... Love the banality. Keep up the good work.
And don't be overwhelmed by your dorkiness... We've all transposed music for one instrument (guitar) to another (banjo) just because we could.
Post a Comment