Sunday, October 28, 2007

Things I Learned Today

When I was in high school, I had a crush on a boy who was my friend. I didn't tell anyone about it because I was fairly certain that he "didn't think about me in that way," and we had all of our classes together, and I didn't want him to find out that I liked him and then things would be awkward. He played bass guitar in his brother's band (why yes, I have always had a thing for bass players). His brother's band was called The NEVVER (so eighties, no?). Their music was reminiscent of The Doors and Rush, with lots of variable time signatures and minor key signatures. The lyrics of one song were randomly generated by computer (the members of the NEVVER were computer geeks--big surprise, I know). One line was, "The wimp drops the tape/the tape falls on the bus." It had a triple/duple meter thing going on. Anyway, sometimes I suspect that my students generate papers in the same manner. Exhibit A:

"Since most research has been done the fact of conducting research of students that are in high school and college, it would seem to be logical and necessary."

I think you see what I mean.

Another thing I learned today:

"The phenomenon of criminal behavior has existed among humankind for centuries, and yet, despite its long history, criminal behavior has escalated into an uncontrollable frenzy."

Sweet Lord Almighty! Hide your valuables and your women and children--criminal behavior has apparently escalated into an uncontrollable frenzy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. For more randomly created goodness, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_Affair

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCIgen

Sokal's ploy was brilliant. To those who say he was unethical by submitting his paper, I say that it would have been unethical not to.

Blog Mom said...

I remember NEVVER lyrics as well. There was one song that had the line "I'm calling up you." I mean, they couldn't blame the computer for THAT one. I wonder if I still have that tape in my basement somewhere? God, I hope so.

cyn said...

ACK! I totally remember that lyric! You should find that tape IMMEDIATELY. "Lost Feelings"--what a masterpiece of a song!

Blog Mom said...

I'm bummed to say I couldn't find my NEVVER tape. If only I could have forseen the humorous ways it could be used in the future!