Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Research Methods Successories

I've mentioned before that I give stickers to my research methods students. It started on a whim with some stickers I got from a catalog. I ran out of those, so I used stickers from my beloved Lucky magazine, the ones I'm supposed to use to mark the purses and scented candles and chunky sandals that I intend to purchase. I ran out of those stickers, too, so I made up my own. I was surprised that there were still some of these left at the end of class:

Come on. That's funny. At least a little funny, right?

Could it be that people didn't take that one because they don't really understand frequency distributions? Hmm. Probably.

Perhaps a similar reason accounted for very few people taking this one:

More than 99% confident that my awesomeness is not due to random error

Instead, all of these were gone at the end of class:




But not one person asked what the variable was that they scored so highly on . . .

1 comment:

Ben said...

1) Bonus points for including a graph in your blog post.

2) Yes, I agree. If your "outliers" are like mine, they probably don't understand frequency distributions, graphs in general, algebra, or the difference between astronomy and astrology.

3) Put your 'smartypantsness' graph on a tshirt and I'd buy it.

4) Way to increase your blogging frequency lately!