Friday, December 19, 2008

Boy, do I feel like an idiot.

So, last night I was all cocky because I had finished most of my grading and just had a few ginormous papers (3 papers that were roughly 25 pages each) and a bunch of brief essays (23, 1-page papers) left. My grades were due at 4:00 today. No problem. Plenty of time.

At 1:30, I was getting ready to go to the office to do the final calculations and grade entry, which would take me an hour and a half or so. I would have time to spare. I basked in the glory of my efficiency.

Then Mr. Banality called and asked me to pick him up from the rec center. He had walked there to play basketball and had "messed up" his knee at the end of the final game. I got out some Tylenol and an ice pack and got the Viva ready for him (it was covered in exams at the time). No problem. I had time to spare.

I sat in the car near the entrance for a while, and when it became clear he wasn't going to come out, I parked and went to wait near the information desk. When it became clear he wasn't going to meet me there, I went to the basketball court, where he was sitting on the floor looking woozy. He was on the phone with the doctor's office.

I drove him to the doctor, finished my grading while waiting for him to get X-rays, and then ended up turning in my grades more than two hours late. The registrar was very nice about it, but I really hate inconveniencing her. I hate it a lot.

I'm an ass.

Edited to add: I'm such an ass that I didn't bother to provide information about Mr. Banality's condition. He might have torn a ligament (LCL) in his right knee.

5 comments:

Rob Faux said...

If this qualifies you as an idiot, then there are a whole lot of people out there that do it much better than you do.

Take a moment to realize you are, at least, done with the semester - bask in it at least momentarily. And, we're hoping it isn't an LCL tear for Mr. B.

We'll cut down a couple of saplings and create a makeshift sled to move him around if need be.

Anonymous said...

You're an ass? Please. More like a thoughtful wife who knows where her priorities are. Hope Mr. B is on the mend -- keep us posted on what they find out.

cyn said...

I don't feel like an ass for taking Mr. Banality to the doctor, but I do feel kind of stupid for taking my sweet time in getting my grades finished. (I probably could have been done that morning.)

Ben said...

(This is me, wisely not pointing any fingers.)

MJ said...

Oooh, bad news for Mr. Banality! Hope he heals quickly!