That evening we went to Sanborn, Iowa, where my sister and brother-in-law held a wine tasting event for the Sanborn Historical Preservation Society, which was trying to raise money to renovate their Carnegie Library building. The Sanborn library was built in 1912 and saved from demolition by the good folks of Sanborn in 2006.
This picture was taken before the library had been moved. It currently has no lower level windows and no electricity. The hosts of the event scrambled to put together a sketchy source of electricity via a set of questionable drop cords. Sanborn touts itself as featuring "Big City Conveniences in a Safe, Quiet, Small Town Lifestyle," but I didn't see a sushi place anywhere in Sanborn, so I'm not sure I believe that slogan.
which was fine.
Then we went back to the winery and helped bottle wine. I put on the foil thingies that go around the top of the bottle--those things that, if opened improperly, can really cut the hell out of your fingers. Although I wasn't great at this task, it was my only option because I couldn't get the labels on right, and I found the pneumatic corking machine to be too frightening.
You might be asking yourself, "Why no pictures of this lovely weekend trip?" Alternatively, you might be asking yourself, "Damn, this is lame. Why am I still reading this?" Regarding the pictures, Mr. Banality and I tend to be bad about taking pictures. Here are the only pictures we took:
Me next to a giant chicken:
The washcloth origami in the motel. For five seconds, I forgot I was staying at a Sleep Inn. But then I remembered when I had to go to the front desk to ask for soap, which the housekeeping staff had neglected to replace (probably due to their intense concentration on the washcloth origami).
By the way, if you're interested in adding a little pizazz to your own bathroom, here's a link to an instructional video:
http://video.about.com/interiordec/Folding-Fancy-Towels.htm
Mr. Banality takes the motel name literally. He is so lazy.

(I woke him up shortly after I took this picture because in addition to being allergic to all things with fur, he is also allergic to feathers, and I worried that a night with his head wrapped in down pillows might have left him dead. It did not.)
In addition to going to The Mall of America, last week I also managed to dump a cup of scalding hot tea on my leg, and the healing process is not so pretty. Mr. Banality bandaged me up real good. This one isn't technically a vacation picture because I took it right after we got home, but whatever.

Ta da!
No comments:
Post a Comment