Saturday, January 17, 2009

untitled

  • Due to the excessively low temperatures, I forgave the sweatpants/Uggs combo. But only for this week.
  • Mr. Banality is sleeping in the guest room so he can RICE to his heart's content without waking me up. The first couple of days he was home he needed my help during the night, so we needed to figure out a way for him to wake me up (it needed to be loud so I would hear it sans hearing aids) without scaring the living bejeezus out of me (in case you didn't know: I am anxious). After vetoing yelling (too scary), we settled on a loud bell. And it's LOUD. The only problem? This middle ear disorder I have doesn't just cause hearing loss--it features bonus tinnitus. And tinnitus comes from the Latin tinnire, "to ring." So, there were a lot of false alarms.
  • When Mr. Banality did finally ring the bell, it didn't wake me up immediately. Instead, I experienced stimulus incorporation, and suddenly began dreaming of Meredith Vieira playing a toy xylophone.
  • Why Meredith Vieira? That was day residue. After spending time in the gym locker room, surgery waiting room, hospital room, and PT waiting room, I've now seen more of the "Today" show than I have . . . ever seen.
  • Now you have the answers to two intro psych exam questions over states of consciousness. The Banality is an educational blog!
  • Say, are you afraid that the Large Hadron Collider will destroy the world? I used to be, but this helped me feel better. (Be sure to check the source code.)
  • It's easy to feel stupid when you're carrying a 20-lb bag of ice through a parking lot when it's -19 degrees outside.
  • A tip for students: When you give a formal presentation, you should not point to a picture of the stomach and say, "I think this is the kidney." I'm no human anatomist, but I know it's a stomach and not a kidney.
  • I'm sure everyone has heard this. I don't care. I'm posting it anyway because it's SO GOOD. Thank you, Lee. You have saved my life this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why, you're welcome. I love the imagery of Meridith on the xylophone, btw.

Blog Mom said...

I'm sorry, but even sub zero temperatures don't excuse Uggs and Sweatpants.