Monday, January 26, 2009

Do you worry . . .

. . . that Mr. Banality will find it impossible to sit around on his keister for hours a day while recuperating?

Well, you needn't.


A hospital volunteer (usually an older gentleman) drives a "courtesy cart" to shuttle hospital visitors from the parking lot to the hospital entrance. Every single time I have gone to the hospital to pick up Mr. Banality from his PT appointment, the cart man has seen me pull into a parking spot, has driven the cart next to my car, and has waited for me to get out of the car so he can shuttle me to the entrance. There's no reason to shuttle me (I'm quite mobile and it's not very far), yet I feel compelled to accept the ride in the courtesy cart. Then I often feel like an ass because while shuttling me to the entrance, the cart man will pass other hospital visitors in the lot (including older men with obvious hip problems and extremely pregnant women).

This morning I tried to time things to avoid the cart man, but as I pulled into a spot, he began driving toward me. I jumped out of my car and literally ran in the opposite direction of the cart man. He drove by me as I was bounding up the stairs. Life is so stressful.

When Mr. Hyde and Mr. Vrendenburg created their general store in 1930 that would later become the Midwestern grocery wonder that is Hy-Vee, could they have imagined that someday a shopper would be in one of their stores buying soy sausages and goji berry granola accompanied by the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated?"

7 comments:

Rob Faux said...

I must say that I admire Mr. B's ability to "ignore" the camera for...oh...about 48 seconds.

Unknown said...

That's how my hubby has spent many a Christmas break.

You just need to learn to enjoy the watching. :)

cyn said...

Mr. B is still at the "Young Link" stage, which means that the video game audio makes it sound like there's a grunting, pre-pubescent boy in our basement. Which is, you know, somewhat disturbing.

Rob Faux said...

We in Banality Nation are starving for attention. Have we been abandoned? Left for other, better, therefore greener, pastures?

We cry out to you - O Banality - please post to us your wisdom, your insight, and maybe an anecdote or two....

Unknown said...

Come on already!

Have you any idea how many times I've checked the Banality since January 26th? Hopes dashed, disappointment sets in.

Unknown said...

Sorry I didn't leave the June, July and August installments of my heartbreak.

So. It's September. Any hope of more postings? I still look...like once a week...and I still haven't learned to stop looking.

Unknown said...

I'll admit it. I look more often than once a week.