Tuesday, June 3, 2008

YOU KNOW YOU GET ALONG WELL WITH YOUR EX WHEN . . .

. . . he sends you something like this.

AND LIKE A GOOD NEIGHBOR

A recent conversation:

Me: Hey . . . do the people across the street have a new baby? I think they might have a new baby. I saw her getting in and out of their minivan all the time this winter. I didn't even realize she was pregnant.

Mr. Banality: I just assumed she was gaining weight.

JUST LIKE A NORMAN ROCKWELL PAINTING
Mr. Banality's annual family reunion/canoe trip was this weekend. The torrential rains prevented canoeing, so we spent some quality time in the game room. An adolescent boy called me ma'am and asked me how the pinball machine worked.

Mr. Banality's family is very, very nice. Of course, I like anyone who can tolerate my endless blathering about behavioral economics, Bayesian analysis, and the participatory culture of the internet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shoutout -- and our prayers remain with the poor afflicted girl. What's up with her tongue in those pix, anyway?

Glad the reunion was fun, but I'm more interested in hearing how you worked Bayesian analysis into casual conversation.

Blog Mom said...

Let me just say that it's better to NOT notice a woman is pregnant than to go up and ask "When are you due?" only to endure that painful silence after realizing she isn't. I speak from experience on both sides. Damn empire waist tops! (But they make my breasts look so much bigger!)

The best way to tell if a woman is pregnant is to listen to her speak, because most women when they are pregnant blather endlessly about baby stuff, myself included.

cyn said...

Well, that explains it because I never ever talk to our neighbors. I'm friendly like that.

Blog Mom said...

Oh, you've got to become friends with your neighbors, particularly after you have kids. Then, you have plenty of drinking friends within walking distance of your home, and don't have to worry about hiring a baby sitter. And neighbors can be very interesting. I was once at a neighbors Halloween party discussing the Bush's Wilsonian foreign policy with a very conservative West Point grad, then aftwerward I acted out my favorite scene from "Office Space", all while my kids were in the basement playing with other kids from the neighborhood. I think I was also wearing two witch hats at once and cackling. Ahh, good times.