Friday, November 16, 2007

hiatus from blogging, but not from banality

Forgive me, readers, for I have sinned. It's been 11 days since my last blog entry.

This isn't terribly surprising. The poor, unfortunate Banality Blog can now join my jazz scat etude book, embroidery needles, and yoga mat on the Island of Misfit Hobbies. The novelty wears off quickly for me.

The truth is that I spend way too much time with my computer as it is. In a typical 10 or 12 hour work day, I spend at least 5-7 of those hours using my computer. So, this blogging thing was a stupid hobby choice from the get-go. Mr. Banality was happy that I had started to spend more time on my next career as a torch singer because he assumed I would be working with other musicians, but now he's disappointed because the "other musicians" live inside my computer. (They keep good time, and they never complain about running a song for the 100th time, but they never want to go out for a few drinks after rehearsal.)

Onto recent banality: I mentioned before that I have a mystery subscription to Lucky magazine, "the magazine about shopping and style." Sometimes I imagine that somewhere out there I have a very shallow benefactor who enjoys engaging in random acts of not-terribly-useful-but-entertaining kindness.

Anyway, included with this month's issue was a supplement called Movies ROCK. I was looking forward to reading more starlets' descriptions of the yummiest lip gloss and the joys of having a pop of neon in an otherwise neutral palette. Instead, this supplement included an article about Tommy, the 1975 rock opera. Here's a quote from the article, written by James Wolcott:

Physically abused, sexually molested, chemically vandalized, this Tommy--"the first autistic hero in the history of opera" (Goldman), who shuts down after he's witness to the primal Freudian scene of seeing his mother's lover murder his father after the father catches them in flagrante delicto--is a Kasper Hauser-ish specimin whose victimization and exploitation supply the crucible of redemption and the catapult into stardom.

Um, k . . .

Lucky magazine, shouldn't you be telling me what Heidi Klum has learned from Project Runway or which off-the-shoulder dresses I could wear for day? Keep your high-falutin', source-citin' Vanity Fair crap out of my inane shopping magazine! Sheesh.

And, in case you were wondering, the answer to Question 1 from above: "Being a designer is hard!" The answer to Question 2: Me, wear an off-the-shoulder dress? Are you effing kidding me?

No comments: